Saanane Island National Park
Saanane Island National Park
Saanane Island is a fully fledged National Park since July, 2013, covering an area of 2.18 sq km comprises of three islets and aquatic environment. The islets lie on the southern part of the main Island.
The park made a record of being the first ever National Park to be located within the City and the smallest National Park in both Tanzania and East Africa. The Park is the home of mammals like Impala, Rock Hyrax, Velvet Monkeys and Wild Cats. The presence of “De-brazas Monkey” underscores its potential as the only Park in the country inhabiting the species. Reptiles are also dominant; they include crocodiles, Monitor Lizards, Agama Lizards, Pancake and Leopard Tortoises, Snakes particularly Python.
The aquatic part of the Park inhabits a variety of fisheries life, mainly Tilapia and Nile Perch.
The Park is located 2km Southwest of Mwanza city centre, which lies in the Gulf of Lake Victoria (Latitude 2.5 S and Longitude 32 E).
One can travel by road or air from either Dar es Salaam or Kilimanjaro International Air Ports to Mwanza. Also can travel by road or railway to Mwanza City from Arusha, Dar es Salaam, Kigoma and Tabora. to mention a few. Moreover, people can travel by ship/vessel to Mwanza Port from Uganda, Kenya, Bukoba and nearby Islands.
The Island is accessed by a regular short boat ride for about 5 minutes from Park Offices, on the mainland. Park Offices are easily accessed about 15 minutes short walk from the City Centre.
Saanane Island is an ideal place for game viewing, bird watching, rock hiking, boat cruise, walking, picnics, bush lunch, photographing/filming, meditation and sport fishing. Special occasions like wedding, engagement, team building, family day and birthdays can also be organized.
Saa Nane Island was named after its previous owner, Mzee Saanane Chawandi, a fisherman who turned into a farmer and later shifted to another island (after being compensated) to pave the way for conservation efforts in the early 1960’s. The Tanzania government officially owned the island in 1964 as the first ever government owned zoo. Originally its territory measured some 0.7 square kilometers comprising both dry land and water. However, Saa Nane National Park annexed and includes two other smaller islets known as Chankende Kubwa and Chandkende Ndogoboth located in the southern part of the main island into the bargain thus increasing its protected area to 1.32 square kilometers. The main objective was to promote intense and conservation education in wildlife and to promote recreation to the people of Mwanza.
Kilimanjaro Bound offer a large range of trips and excursions suitable for any budget or time available. We are there to organise everything that you need during your African Adventure.
Whatever you choose, Kilimanjaro Bound will take great care of you whilst you enjoy the beauty of our wonderful country.
Important Information About Your Tanzania Safari Adventure
- Full board accommodation while on safari in the above mentioned en suite tented camps and lodges.
- Private guide.
- Private 4 x 4 safari jeep with pop up roof for game viewing.
- Transfers in both directions between the International Airport.
- Park fees.
- Crater fees.
- Airport Arrival / Departure Meet and Greets at the airport.
- On safari – Vehicles equipped with ice chest with mineral water, wildlife guidebook, karibuni welcome packet with useful information for all guests.
- Government taxes, VAT and service charges relating to accommodation and included meals.
- Tanzania Visa: $50 per person on arrival , USA and CANADA passport holders USD.100.
- Personal Expenses (e.g. laundry, telephone, beverages, etc.).
- Meals not listed above.
- Optional Tours (balloon rides USD. 500 per person etc).
- Tips and any items of personal nature.