Marangu Route 6 DaysClimbing Kilimanjaro
Marangu Route 6 Days
The Marangu Route 6 Days is the easiest route to climb to Uhuru Peak, the summit of Mount Kilimanjaro. It is a preferred route for many travelers because of the different accommodation facilities that are available on the Route. Tourists can sleep in comfortable huts and in some of them, there is running water. It is possible to reach the summit in 5 days using the Marangu Route, however, for better acclimatization, climbing Mount Kilimanjaro on Marangu Route 6 days is preferred to give a far better and more enjoyable trip.
Kilimanjaro Bound has taken many of our clients to the summit using Marangu Route 6 Days and we guarantee that you shall be one of the successful travelers to make it all the way to Uhuru Peak, the summit f Mount Kilimanjaro and the second highest point on the planet.
If you want to ask us anything at all after reading this itinerary for Marangu Route 6 Days, you can contact us online and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
After completing the Marangu Route 6 Days you will have the choice of booking an incredible Safari of the National Parks of Tanzania, checking out the culture with some of our short tours or taking a well earned rest on the island of Zanzibar.
Kilimanjaro Bound will take care of you and your party and organise everything you need for the trip of a lifetime.
- Nicknamed the “Coca-Cola” route because the route is popularized as easy and cheap. This, however, is a misconception as the route is more difficult due to the ‘not as good acclimatization profile’ as Machame/Rongai/Lemosho routes.
- Often selected by unprepared, inexperienced climbers because of its reputation for being the “easiest” route, attributing to the lower success rate.
- The shortest and cheapest route, but less time to acclimatize, therefore lower success rate.
- Dormitory style accommodation in huts.
- Less scenic due to ascent and descent on same route.
Itinerary of Marangu Route 6 Days
Day 1: Kilimanjaro International Airport.
This tour starts when we meet and collect you at Kilimanjaro International Airport and transfer you to your hotel in Moshi for dinner and your first overnight stay.
Day 2 :Moshi- Marangu Gate and later to Mandara Hut. (Hiking Time: 3-5 hours).
Early in the morning after breakfast, our company representative shall drive you to Marangu Gate that is situated on the Eastern side of Mount Kilimanjaro.
On arrival, you shall register onto the Mountain and prepare. Later that day we will start climbing Mount Kilimanjaro, first through the rain forests until we reach Mandara Hut. As you climb, you shall observe a huge number of tree species, species of birds and the wildlife that inhabit the Tanzania rain forests. If you are lucky enough, you may see the wonderful Colobus monkeys. You shall likely arrive at Mandara Hut about 3 pm. Mandara Hut is at 2720 m above sea level. Once at Madara Hut you will have time to relax, freshen up and enjoy the beautiful scenery of the surrounding forests and areas as the day turns into night. We stay here overnight and enjoy a wonderful meal.
Day 3: Mandara Hut to Horombo Hut. (Hiking Time: 4-6 hours).
About 8:30 in the morning, you shall start to ascend through the moorlands, leaving behind the wonderful rain forest of Kilimanjaro. We then move through moorlands that mainly contain shrubs and giant heather’s. On a clear day, you shall be in position to view picturesque views of Kibo and Mawenzi.
Along the way, you shall have a stopover to rest and relax before continuing to hike until we reach Horombo Hut.
At this point, the effects of altitude shall be evident. At Horombo Hut (3720 m), you shall have a wonderful stay and dinner.
Day 4: Acclimatization Day.
During this day, you shall relax your body by going for a short climbing challenge. This fully enables you to rejuvenate your body and continue climbing as if its your day 1 of this tour.
After breakfast, you shall walk to the Zebra Rocks. Later, you shall journey back to Horombo Hut for lunch, dinner and overnight stay. This day is great for strategizing and coming up with several ideas to help guide you to reach the summit.
Day 5 : Horombo Hut to Kibo Hut. (Hiking Time: 6-8 hours).
After breakfast, you shall start your hike moving through uncultivated land with sandy soil and scrubby vegetation as you enter the saddle that connects Mawenzi to Kibo. Before crossing the saddle to Kibo, you shall have a stopover for lunch and relaxation. You shall reach Kibo Hut later that day and start your preparations to reach the summit the following day. Kibo Hut offers nice accommodation facilities but has no running water.
Day 6 : Kibo Hut to Uhuru Peak and later Horombo Hut. (Hiking Time: 10- 15 hours).
This is your last day before you reach the summit. Make sure that you are well equipped with all the necessary tools. It is always wise to have a fully charged headlamp and a warm climbing gear.
At Uhuru Peak, it is always cold and this is why prior planning is necessary. The ascent to the peak is completed at night, you reach the summit before sunrise. You shall start to hike to the summit between midnight and 2 am and you shall ascend until you reach Gillman’s Point which is located at the crater rim at 5861 m. From Gillman’s Point, you shall continue hiking for another 2 hours to reach the summit, Uhuru Peak.
You will spend some time at the peak taking photos and enjoying the breathtaking scenery. Later, you shall descend back to Kibo Hut for lunch and then continue to Horombo Hut for dinner and an overnight stay.
Day 7: Horombo Hut to Moshi.
This is the final day of the tour. Plan to say goodbye to all the people who accompanied you along the way. Early in the morning after breakfast, you shall descend until the Marangu Gate and later continue to Moshi for relaxation, dine and an overnight stay.
Day 8: Transfer to Kilimanjaro International Airport.
Moshi is a great city and while you are there, you shall feel the gratitude of being part of something which is bigger. The people are friendly and welcoming. After your breakfast and depending on the time of departure for your flight; our guide shall drive you and drop you off at Kilimanjaro International Airport. Wave as you say goodbye to Tanzania.
Important Information About Climbing Mount Kilimanjaro
- Accommodations the night before and the night after the trek two nights in Moshi
- Quality, waterproof, four-season private mountain sleeping tents
- Professional, experienced, mountain guides
- All Park fees
- Entry fees, Rescue fees, camping fees or hut fees
- All meals while on the Mountain
- Arrival and Departure transfers
- Guides, Porters, cook salaries and park fees
- Quality Mess tents with table and chairs
- Transport to the gate on starting day and after the trek
- Clean, purified drinking water
- Private, portable chemical flush toilets
- Fair and ethical treatment of porters
- Portable Summit Emergency Oxygen
- Kilimanjaro National park certificate for successful summit attempt
- Flying Doctor Service
- Tanzania Visa: $50 per person on arrival
- Personal Expenses (e.g. laundry, telephone, beverages, etc.)
- Meals not listed above
- Optional Tours (short safari before or after your climb, marangu village day tour, day trip to lake challa, etc)
- Tips and any items of personal nature
- Health requirements (Yellow Fever – only compulsory if you travel to Tanzania via a Yellow Fever infected country, Meningitis & Hepatitis A remains optional, but comes recommended)
our customers love us
“Fantastic experience! Really well looked after by our porters and our guides Leonard and Aggrey.”
“On summit day, our guides ended up carrying our day bags and motivated us, to make sure we would make it. Can only recommend these guys!”
“Leonard and Aggrey were so knowledgable about everything, that they even made the walking feel easy!! It’s definitely safe to say I would have never reached the summit without the help of my team, I would recommend these guys to anyone, every day of the week.”
“Aggrey & William are real professionals and heroes in guiding us to the top.”